Wednesday 12 September 2012

Defining

I looked up the meaning of define in the dictionary and one of the definitions of it was "to make or establish the character of" and that's what my blog post is about.

I saw these quotes today that said:
"People will always judge you, don't let what they say define you."
"Judging a person doesn't define who they are, it defines who you are."

When it comes to people defining you or you defining other people before I even dive in to the topic the first thing I'm thinking about is what does God say? The first verse that came to mind was this; "Judge not, that you not be judged. For with the judgement you pronounce you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?"

Therefore firstly before anything God doesn't say it's our right to even start have a definition. Any character no matter how they are is not ours to define. People cannot be put in a box of "who they are." I'm sure you're thinking, yes they can but defining someone is like saying they can never change. Well how do we know? People can't be defined because there's always a chance for change. A person's character is not written in a permanent marker. God changes people's lives.

If you're on the receiving end and worried about how people are defining you, well what's to worry about? Do you not know who you are? Better yet, God knows who you are. People's definition of you is like a 4 year old trying to do a University degree. Excuse my comparison but what I mean is they're not capable of defining you, no one is. They can try but whatever they say, you know the truth and God always sees the truth.

The only opinion you should be concerned about is God's opinion. God loves you and He will always lead you in the right direction. I read another quote today (can you tell I like quotes) that said "God's word trumps man's opinion." If you're looking for direction in life and what to do in any situation - open up your bible.

Look to God,
Until I write again,
Nicola Hill






No comments:

Post a Comment