Saturday 30 March 2013

Bullying

The Wikipedia definition of bullying is this, "Bullying is the use of force or coercion to abuse or intimidate others. The behavior can be habitual and involve an imbalance of social or physical power. It can include verbal harassment or threat, physical assault or coercion and may be directed repeatedly towards particular victims, perhaps on grounds of race, religion, gender, sexuality, or ability".

I find bullying sad. Sad that people can deliberately hurt others and feel nothing. Sad that words get used to bring people down instead of build them up. Sad that it gets to the point of making someone else cry. Sad that people abuse their power given to them and use it to hurt others. Bullying can crush someone's spirit. In this blog post I'm concentrating on bullying with words. Words can cause serious harm.

Everyone must have witnessed or been a victim of some form of bullying. It's not only something that happens in schools, it happens in work places too. It can happen anywhere. Wherever someone attacks another. Bullying with words is saying something that drags a person down in a harsh way without feeling sorry. Words are a form of communication but they are also a very strong tool that can encourage or damage others. Are your words building people up or tearing them down?

No one wants to feel hurt, isolated or unwanted. No one wants to be made fun of. No one wants to be a target of someone else. No one wants someone constantly putting them down. No one wants to cry. No one wants people talking behind their back. Which leads me to ask, why bully? If people don't want to be on the receiving end then why do they put someone else there?

We're all different. In a whole world of personalities there is no one else like you. There are billions of personalities out there. In a whole world of all kinds of people not everyone will get along. Although we are all different we all have something in common. We all have feelings and the potential to be good.

Remember we all have feelings. Every person can experience feeling happy and they can feel sad. Which would you rather be? If you choose sad... Actually sad is not an option, I know no one will choose to be sad. Why would you choose to be sad anyway? Do you like feeling upset or hurt? Does it make you feel good? No it does not. Then my question is why do people make someone else go through that? Why do people bully others and make them feel something they don't want to feel?

I found Proverbs 15 is a good verse for this post if you'd like to read it through.

There are a lot of things words can do to people.

Beating with words or building with words? That is the question. Beat them down or build them up.

It's like giving someone a lift or hitting them with your car. That's the difference between the type of words that get thrown at people. If you give them a lift you carry them to go further with your words. If you hit them you injure them with your words. Sometimes the damage isn't so bad but sometimes it can be.

The reason I am talking about bullying with words and the extent of watching our words is because too much abuse of words can lead to bullying.

Thank you for reading my blog. You can follow me on twitter @nicolahill7. You can also subscribe to this blog by email on the right hand side of this post. I write when I have something on my heart that I want to write about. When I'm feeling inspired to write.

I have written many blog posts on a range of topics. You're welcome to look through all my posts.

I'd like to end with this quote I found today. I actually found it before I even thought about this blog because I only thought of this post later but I think it fits really well.

Trouble with this world is that everybody's out to get everybody else. I mean why can't people be more like me? I love everybody. ~ Bugs Bunny

Until I write again,
Build people up,
God Bless,
Nicola Hill














No comments:

Post a Comment